Enactment & LARP

If you are willing to step 
Widdershins around the old oak...

Roleplay Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Johns Event Feedback

Gideon
Site Owner

Ok, I'll kick this off, as a ref.

I hoped to have a chat with John first, but it appeared that there wasnt time, so as he suggested, I'll just pop it here.

I have a bit of an odd, overview, as I both helped crew, but also usualy ref, so, a lot of my feedback may be at quite a high level, but we shall start with the positive:

1 - The plot was well laid out, with a number of different options, allowing the players to make there choices.

2 - The NPC's where largely interesting and it was not a simple combat event, with some interesting roleplay.

3 - The plot did not necesitate the mere murder of the NPC's. there where ALWAYS choices, often no good one's, but still, the choices where there. More than one NPC just walked away.

4 - The combats where tough and interesting (perhaps too tough, but I'll go back to that later), with interesting beasties as well as straight up villians. 

The Con.'s 

1 - As crew, there where times we could have done with more understanding of what was going on, I think we where lucky to have a really strong crew group, otherwise it could have struggled or overplayed as we tried to figure out what to do and perhaps either been to easy, or uninteresting, or overpowered.

2 - As a ref who has a deep and vested interest in the plot, I have my own deep reservations about the long term plot that has been dropped in without talking to me, and without my precheck, but hopefully we can discuss that at length and come to a compramise.

3 - The scavenge bag: good fun, excellent idea, again, didnt get to precheck. Now getting the stuff back from players, may have been a little overpowered and does not actualy function as a scavenger bag, as that should only provide resources, not whole items.

4 - Standing talking to the players/overtalking under roleplaying: less is more. Get the job done, get out. Make sure the players roleplay before a bead pull etc.

I think thats it for now, there where a few pacing issues, but that was not anyones fault, and some of the fights where truly epic (which is why its hard to judge the level of the crew, on the one hand: we where often hard. On the other so where the players and they survived.)

Generaly: excellent an I am sure that any concerns I have can be worked out with John.

Thoughts? 

June 24, 2013 at 5:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Swartz

I can see the cons, they seem to be fair. I have to admit, I was going to do a plot line up of what I wanted when in a form of a timeline but working now full times hours and doing other bits and pieces I just lost lack of time.

I have to admit, I don't think scavenging bag was much of a problem in my honest opinion. It's scavaging, you find good and you find bad. This for me is something that just niggles at me. I love the idea you have for a bag and they pick but stuff should vary depending on world/culture/situation. Wastelands it could be pack full of useful things but at the same time it could be full of crap things - hence varies. I have to say though, some of the items where there for fun.
I would like to at least apologies for not giving that to you beforehand, we both simply don't have enough time to chat. In realisation on this I have to say most of the lead up to the event I did quite well by myself with occassional reference to you. -shrug-

Right now, Gideon, I have to say this at least for the defence of my plot in the long run. It's that, it's not there yet in the long run, I am building it slowly. Fixing it, twerking it. Baby steps. Heck, I'm not entirely sure I want to do it the way I'm thinking of it. I'm right now just a bab-bee thinking of plot, I don't want to jump in too deep. Not yet. I expect we can think about it, work it out but still it's just an idea that I had. -shrug- Heck, i might just make the letters there for a good read like in Fall out/Newsletters. I don't know yet.

Otherwise, yes I enjoyed it, yes I believe things could have worked out. differently and done differently. Thank you for letting me express my opinion.

--

Theodore Blackthorn, your average undead husband. Here to protect his darling wife and destroy those who threaten his wife - he will be brought back from the dead to become a man again so he can finish his kiss to his wife. He promises over his dead body.

June 24, 2013 at 6:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner
Hey John, I am recognising your talent, but I am stating that part of the job as ref is to find the time to run these things by me. If only by email & I understand your plot is still fledgling, but lack of information & going only on what you've told me: I am not comfortable with it & need to explain to you why. It comes down to character skill groups. That was also the problem with your scavenge bag: though I felt the mundane items where excellent, there is a reason full potions are never found. The idea is to provide something to trade or use. Not to margenelise another skill set (alchemist). Not only that, but I feel the potions where the one bit that jarred & did not feel Lorian.
June 24, 2013 at 8:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Swartz

Ah fair enough, I can understand that. I'll write what I had in mind up then and pass it along to you then. I also therefore apologies about the scavenging bag, I'll create  a new one as pass the information along to you as well. On a smaller side note, Lorian has healers right? So surely they have alchemy ?

--

Theodore Blackthorn, your average undead husband. Here to protect his darling wife and destroy those who threaten his wife - he will be brought back from the dead to become a man again so he can finish his kiss to his wife. He promises over his dead body.

June 25, 2013 at 4:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tesla

if the healer went down and we could't heal her then what??

some time potions are the olny thing that keeps a group going and we had to get the alchemist to identify the unknown potions.

--

June 25, 2013 at 5:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner
John: yes, but other than simple healing VERY rare. (Or supposed to be). James & john: fa has always been a game designed to reward players who prepare. With all the gold/items/herbs in the system I am surprised the alchemists aren't milking it preselling potions. There should be no need to have them in the bag.
June 26, 2013 at 10:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tesla

i've pulled a White bead and aksed you Gideon for a healing potion in more than one of  your games. I have lots of gold in game some players don't, i have Scavenger so i can get gold but if noone is selling stuff what the point? i can't buy stuff on the forums and i take about  one or two gold to the game.

--

June 26, 2013 at 4:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Swartz

I'm going to have to agree with Telsa, yes we have met traders but they have been part of the plot so come into danger of being killed off. Rarely do we actually get a chance to trade.

--

June 27, 2013 at 6:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner
Well there are a couple of things I can respond to this: 1- I think we are getting of course from the feedback for John's event. 2 - however, in brief response: yes alchemy exists & I take your point, but we removed the "choose what you want on a white bead" because of player feedback as well. Also: players can trade on the forum between themselves & before the day events. Considering the money & the traders we have as player characters: people with money should be able to acquire guns for each day of the week, armour, bombs & enough healing potions to fill a swimming pool. So, perhaps the topic you want in the rules section needs to deal with: why isn't this happening?
June 27, 2013 at 7:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John Swartz

I say mostly because we got off topic, though I do feel this reflexs on my day event a little, sorry. Otherwise I take what you say quite seriously and will make changes.

--

June 27, 2013 at 9:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave the clueless

Really should check on here more often.  A few notes from my perspective (if my memory is good enough).

Overall a good event.  While I love Gideons way of doing things was interesting seeing someone elses attempt and seemed smooth enough.

Only thing i can say as advice for improvement is know your crew.  We had a decent fighting team down and the hits you where giving us where probably a bit high against a player group with little focus on hard combat.  I know I went down a bit sooner than I should a few times when we where laying into the players to much although cannot say much for everyone else.

The new bang guns do level the playing field a lot more than the nerf.  Issue with nerf is to easy to avoid being hit.

For Sam it was his first event and I can say he loved it and is wanting to come again so cheers for getting his keen up.

--

I am Sir Richard DeGaunt, slayer of foes and thrower of dead bodies!

August 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.