Forest Argent 
Enactment & LARP

If you are willing to step 
Widdershins around the old oak...

Roleplay Forum

Forum Home > The Lorians > Alliance colonies/ countries

Jen_G

Hi all,

I'm currently creating a lorian coghead to play in the upcoming fort wiley event and am in the process of working out her back story. Obviously a lot of her development will occur in character but I want to get a good idea of who she is and where she comes from and now we get to my point!

Essentially she grew up around the docks of an alliance 'controlled' country but I wanted to introduce a new country other than those from gleaning this forum I can see in existence, allowing me to elaborate on her past without treading on unknown ( to me) cannon I was wondering what your thoughts on this would be and what sort of areas that may have been mentioned in passing but not fully explored I had to work with?

Kind Regards,

Jen

p.s. I look forward to meeting more of you in person and in character

August 24, 2013 at 5:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dan_The_Hat

Hey the Alliance cover countries inspired by those in western europe. Best thing to do is write somthing and send it to Gideon then he can tell you which bits are ok and sugest changes

--

August 26, 2013 at 3:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner

Hey up, 

Though the Alliance is a mostly Llorian equivilant of the alliances of the 18th century.

Currently however, only two counrties have had any real background put into them:

Avalon - Which is Britian as if run by a three pronged goverment: The Queen, The Guilds and Parliment.

It is fairly robust in its millitary and one of the formost powers in the Alliance

Montain - A largely farming comunity, that recently had to be put down hard, as they attempted to over expand. Largely guild run now, they are starting to become masters of artifice and galvanonic force manipulation.

The others are not really filled in as yet.

August 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jen_G

Thanks guys I shall give things some more thought and do some more writing of her own backstory and a bit about the structure of her home country. Do we have to stick completely to real world geography or can things be screwed slightly? say the netherlads became islands?

August 26, 2013 at 6:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete_Walls

From what Gideon has said in the past he's quite keen for the geograpy of the Lorian setting to be actively different from that of the real world. So yeah, by all means rough out some ideas along those lines.

August 27, 2013 at 4:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner
Correct, We only have a couple of alliance countries actively marked out, I am happy with idea's & details of new places being sent to me.
August 29, 2013 at 6:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Qwerty
From what i have worked out with the Vallenstock stuff. Vallenstock is large block based on the soviet block. The alliance seems close by having as i can work out a very cold war style set up but, as geography isnt concrete yet vallenstock is likely near some allience countries and likely to.have an effect. Nepolonics with mix of steampunk and cold war influence. Is gideon in agreement with this perception
--

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future

September 6, 2013 at 6:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Qwerty
I was refering to shared cultural values, traditions and values. It depends i often find basing alternate world senarios go best when counties are loosely based om their real world counterparts.
--

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future

September 6, 2013 at 8:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dan_The_Hat

The Alliance was created kind of by accident, as far as I see it it formed after a devistating war between an aliance of nations against montain. post war the aliance gained sovrign power over its consituent nations in order to rebuild the devestated countries but those who held power in the aliance didnt want to give it up so it still stands.

Again this is my understanding not cannon but between the aliance which is in the west of the main continent and Vallenstock which lies to the east is a number of independent nations. So your nation could be one of the Aliance nations or one of the indepentent states

--

September 7, 2013 at 7:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner

I thought Soverein rule would mean that they where in charge, less an alliance than an empire.

There is at least one country between Avalon and Montaigne and that is Eisen. 

There are also the city states of Jaeger etc scattered around.

Vallenstock is as far as I known a wholly independent group. With a kind of "boulchevic light" goverment.

Though I would be glad to have anything written sent to me.

September 8, 2013 at 6:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dan_The_Hat

Basiclly where the Iberian Montain & other minro countries had no government had remaind after being destroyed by war those countries became governed by the Aliance council that is made up of the Queen of Avalon, guild leaders and chruch of the cog leaders. would that make sence?

--

September 10, 2013 at 6:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner
Kinda, but it's news to me. I thought they would be independent city states like Venice or Hanoveria. With there own government. Also: what is Iberian montain??
September 10, 2013 at 7:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner
Also: what about other Alliance members leadership: like eisen or the free city's or montain itself? Wouldn't they have a place on this council of leadership?
September 10, 2013 at 7:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dan_The_Hat

iberia, montain to seperate countries, if Lorian is a relflection of our world Iberia would be similar to spain. And the point is their royal families are dead or governemtnts where wiped out. I suppose they would have leaders on the council, these are just ideas that ive come up with so if they dont fit the world then thats ok

--

September 11, 2013 at 5:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner
I just think that gives Avalon a bit to much power, send your thoughts however & we shall see.
September 12, 2013 at 6:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Qwerty
I agree with Gideon, Vallenstock is seperate as I was refering to cultural values and the fear factor. I also think this stuff needs working through more thoughly though Avalon being the ruling member maybe a little much I would view it like the EU. Unified in name and fear of those outside but, bickering and backstabbing with independent sovereignty. Political Venice style.
--

September 12, 2013 at 7:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dan_The_Hat

The alliance would have a unified government that is lead by the Avalonians but heavully influenced by the guilds and the church.so kind of like the EU but with sovrign power and an 17th/18th centuray attitued to class

--

September 22, 2013 at 7:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Qwerty
Gideon would have the final word and from a system viewpoint that makes avalon stupidly powerful and other nation in the allience alot less meaningful
--

September 23, 2013 at 2:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner
Last word: It does make Avalon to powerful. As described in the new "world spec" "The Alliance" refers to a mutual support & non-aggression pact between several western countries who suffered under the "great western war". Avalon is a member of that Alliance. Even a leading member, but it does not rule them (as suggested by "sovereign power"). That is my final say. Also, since I have no written outline of "Iberia" as yet. Spain substitutes are wide open & Italy is being largely handled by the "free cities".
September 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jen_G

Well I'm working on a spec for the Nether Isles. A country made up of 7 island states whose main priority is trade (not all of which is entirely legal / alliance approved, islands means lots of coast so opportunity for smugglers and fences for pirate goods.). Although involved in the war, it was mainly in a weapon and tech supply capacity with the ocassional mercernary company. However due to it being the source of weapons it was the target of raids and proposition as each of the main sides jockeyed for control of this vital resource, leading to tension between the islands when at times they were effectively on opposite sides even though they never fought each other.

So thats my start, what do you guys think?
Gives opportunity for the odd skirmisher but primarily for jacks, cog boys and shrewd smugglers.

September 28, 2013 at 3:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.